[Gllug] NFS Export irregularity

Dylan dylan at shinyboots.org.uk
Sun Oct 21 18:21:55 UTC 2001

Hi Guys

My server exports two filesystems (each resident on separate physical disks.)
/etc/fstab (on the server) mounts them as follows:

/dev/hdb1	/private_exp	reiserfs	defaults	1 2
/dev/hdd1	/public_exp	reiserfs	defaults	1 2

/etc/exports (on the server) says:

/private_exp  <network_IP_addr>/<subnet mask>(rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash)
/public_exp  <network_IP_addr>/<subnet mask>(rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash)

/etc/fstab (on a workstation) says:

<server IP addr>:/private_exp	/private_imp	nfs	defaults 0 0
<server IP addr>:/public_exp	/public_imp	nfs	defaults 0 0

On the server, the ownership and permissions are as follows:

		OWNER:GROUP  Permissions
/private_exp 	root:<private group name> drwxrwx---
/public_exp	root:users drwxrwx---

The server recognises and accesses these directories as expected. User and
group names and ID's are syncronised across the network (I have tripple
checked this.) When one of the workstations boots, it fails to mount
/private_exp (onto local /private_imp) with an 'RPC:connection refused'
error. /public_exp, however, is mounted correctly. I can manually mount the
un-mounted nfs volume (with mount -a, or mount /private_imp) after boot.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dylan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk