[Gllug] say No to Flash. was -> EZ-Jackster

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Oct 23 21:26:19 UTC 2001

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 10:25:28PM +0100, Steve Nicholson wrote:
> > >Anyway, without flash the site is completely useless. Hmmm....wasn't
> > >there an American Law that says web sites must be accessible
> > >to disabled people?
> >
> > Why does a web-site that is only useful using Flash fall foul
> > of regulations designed to bring equality to people with disabilities?
>
> I think it is mainly because Flash sites can't be read by Text to speech
> readers etc, that people with disabilities use to view sites.  There was
> a big case against the Olympic website for the games in Sydney that had
> to be change due to a guy taking them to court and ruling in his favour.
<snip>

There is two other good reasons not to use flash.

One of the big advantages of webpages is the ability to quickly search for
information, either through a seach engine or through a wide variety of
client tools. Flash breaks that, imagine searching for say "Audi cars" and
never finding the Audi site because they used 100% Flash.

The other is that the data on a webpage is often taken from several other
sources, eg databases, and usually dynamically. Can Flash cope with all
the possible data sources your company has ? Or if the website is a
primary source of data then can you easily extract the data out without
propriety tools (if things go belly-up) ?

The disabilities argument is probably the one that will work on managers
though.

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk