[Gllug] Linux USB ADSL drivers: how stable?

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Fri Oct 12 13:09:46 UTC 2001

On 12 Oct 2001, Chris Ball wrote:

> On Fri, 2001-10-12 at 13:46, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> > What I'm curious to know is who out there is actually using the
> > drivers and what their experiences are.  The page for the driver isn't
> > all that promising and it sounds like it's far from trouble-free.
>
> The drivers are fine, though they weren't always.  I've had Linux
> running an ADSL connection under high load for months, it's fine.

In my experience, the drivers won't keep the connection up for months, or
even, most of the time, for weeks.  Putting a simple 'persist' into the ppp
options helps a lot with that - it should bring the line straight back up,
and does so in most cases.

> > Final question: any recommendations for a DSL provider?  In particular
> > I don't want NAT and want a real, static IP.  Nildram have been
> > suggested.
>
> Nildram and Mailbox both seem the consensus for ADSL..

I still like Freeserve.  Relatively cheap (I got on it before they put their
prices up so I'm on £40 per month) and I get one real static IP...

> ~C.

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk