[Gllug] Off Topic Not a Plug

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 19:58:56 UTC 2001

"Jackson, Harry" wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I sent the complaint and believe it or not the head of the Website or
> whatever you call that person replied with the following
>
> "Yes, Harry you have found some light at the end of the tunnel!  We will
> look into it and let you know.
> All the best,"

I think I may have had success with our corporate web site. The last
time they "upgraded" it it stopped working with Unix Netscape
completely. I used Netscape on AIX (our corporate standard server
platform - the site runs on it) to prove the point, so they couldn't say
"Linux - non standard" and raised the problem the "official" way by
creating a ticket in Remedy[1]. After the ticket had sat there for a
couple of months they asked me to install them a Linux machine, as an
RS/6000 would have been expensive and the network is too slow to use
Netscape over remote X conveniently. Another two months later they have
updated the ticket to say it will be fixed in 2 weeks. Better late than
never, and more than I expected.

I have an advantage you do not - my team is responsible for the servers
and Apache that their "content" sits under. So I know who they are:)

Regards, Ian

[1] A problem/request management system which is quite popular in large
manglement driven corporations, for the benefit of those who have the
luck not to work for one. No Linux, FreeBSD or Solaris/Intel client and
I can't even get the AIX one to work (bombs out rc=1 with no message, no
source of course). It's one of the two pieces of s**t which makes me run
Windows at work (the other is a highly proprietary email/office
automation system). I can't use the "we can't tell our customers what to
run" argument here.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk