[Gllug] The BBC and Microsoft.

Dan Kolb dankolb at ox.compsoc.net
Mon Oct 29 23:59:54 UTC 2001

On Monday 29 Oct 2001 23:16 pm, Chris Bell wrote:
>    I just thought that a short description and view of typical layouts, and
> a mention of electrical safety, electrostatic precautions, adequate
> cooling, careful assembly, and neat and tidy interconnections, would be
> appreciated by those people who have not seen inside any computer, and have
> just treated them as a magic black (or cream) box.

Sounds like a good idea - just don't go too far into taking precautions,
otherwise it'll sound more dangerous than stopping a chainsaw with bare hands.

>    There was a humorous description regarding taking off with Linux which
> described the way one was handed a spanner, a DIY kit of seat components,
> and a seat how-to; perhaps we should show that building a seat is not too
> difficult, and demonstrate that the results are well worth the effort.

Yes. It was "If Operating Systems were Airplanes". I'm sure someone who's got
too much time on their hands can post a URL.

>    We would need to explain something about choices to be made during the
> installation, such as disc partitions, passwords and security, UID's and
> GID's, networking, hostnames and addresses, and text only or x-windows, but

This sounds like it may be pitched a bit over the top. Remember that if going
on TV, programmes have to appeal to the general public, not just to clued-up
people who know what a hard disk is :-)

> I think that the greatest impact would be made by showing a working system
> with word processing, graphics, multimedia, file sharing over networks,
> databases, etc, etc.

Definitely. Possibly showing StarOffice or equivalent opening a Word document
and saying "Look, it's even compatible with industry-standard Office
applications".

>    We should show that it is not just a lot of hot air but a real, stable,
> system, following international standards, and yet still capable of using
> and accessing existing files and data. In fact all the reasons why we are
> enthusiastic about Linux. We could also make the point that our
> universities and colleges have been training students to use advanced
> software for more years than other operating systems have been around.

And add, in the true Radio Times advert style, "other Operating Systems are
available" ;-)

Dan
- --
dankolb at ox.compsoc.net

- --I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any comments or
  opinions expressed; don't trust everything you read above--

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk