[Gllug] Followup to CD ripping and interrupt congestion

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Wed Oct 17 10:02:43 UTC 2001

For those interested, apparently the pre-emptive kernel patches help
with this particular problem.  Haven't had a chance to play yet.

----- Forwarded message from Andre Pang <ozone at algorithm.com.au> -----

From: Andre Pang <ozone at algorithm.com.au>
To: Grant Parnell <gripz at arcadia.au.com>,
	Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>, slug at slug.org.au
Subject: Re: [SLUG] CD ripping and interrupt congestion
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 00:10:05 +1000

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 09:26:24PM +1000, Andre Pang wrote:

> > > Is there anything I can do to make it nicer, even at the expense of
> > ----------------------------------------^^^^
> > > ripping speed?  Hopefully it doesn't involve buying SCSI which I know
> > > tends to have less impact on the system.
>
> Actually, prehaps the pre-emptive kernel patches and/or Andrew
> Morton's low-latency patches will help.  I'll do an experiment
> later tonight and see how it feels

Okay, it seems like the pre-emptive kernel patch make a very
significant difference to at least scheduling latency during
cdparanoia ripping, which will impact system performance
everywhere.  I was getting regular scheduling latencies of >20ms
(on a realtime process!), which the pre-emptive patch cut down to
an average of about 3.5ms.

I didn't actually test the responsiveness of my system during it
(I walked off and used my other box for a while), but I suspect
it'll improve drastically with the patch.

I'd highly recommend that you use the pre-empt patches anyway,
they really improve the overall feel of the system, even if it's
not actually running any faster.

Pre-emptive patch is at http://www.tech9.net/rml/linux/ -- note
that you're going to need a (very) recent kernel to get them to
work.  I have patches for 2.4.9-ac{10,12,14} if you want them,
too.

--
#ozone/algorithm <ozone at algorithm.com.au>          - trust.in.love.to.save

----- End forwarded message -----