[Gllug] Proxy awareness campaign

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Wed Oct 17 09:56:15 UTC 2001

Can I just make the case for the defence?

I know proxies don't get a good rap, and I know geeks would prefer to not
have them. But, in my view, it is essential to have them, is becoming more
essential as the internet grows, and I think to demand they be removed
completely is somewhat neo-luddite.

Firstly, the problem: connections / bandwidth is expensive. Security is
expensive. Load balancing/clustering is expensive. Proxying gives easy
answers to these in many situations. Advanced proxying / edge content
production / level 7 firewalls are all examples of cool uses of proxy
technology: nobody's going to tell me the Akamai network is rubbish. I think
the case for good proxies is watertight.

I do agree, though, that there are too many poorly setup proxies in
existence. The inability to use HTTP/1.1, or fall back to 1.0 correctly, is
inexcusable, proxies which drop connections, or break otherwise, are also
annoying. I think any campaign should be aimed at these: proxies which don't
work.

To argue that all transparent proxies are bad, for example, is not going to
cut it with network engineers. To argue that there is not enough awareness of
good proxying practice is a different matter, and one I would support.

Cheers,
				Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk