[Gllug] mutt/gpg

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 08:36:43 UTC 2001

I've just started the steep climb up the mutt learning curve and I've
got a few problems:

I'm not quite sure what the difference is between the mail in the
/var/spool/mail/paul directory and that in the ~/Mail directory.
Is the /var/spool/mail/paul the equivalent of the "Inbox" in
Outlook/Evolution and the ~/Mail the equivalent of the various folders
where you sort and store emails?
When I start up mutt it shows the /var/spool/mail and some of the other
mailboxes with an "=" sign in front.
If I press <tab> it changes to my ~/Mail directory.
I've set up procmail to automatically sort mail into various folders so
the /var/spool/mail/paul directory is always empty.
Is this what I should do?

The other problem I've got is PGP/GPG support. I've got an PGP-encrypted
email that I can decrypt if I do:
gpg -d ~/Mail/encryptedmail (where encryptedmail is a mailbox containing
just the email.)
But mutt doesn't flag it as encrypted - is this because the encrypted
message is "inline" rather than a MIME attachment?
I found something to add to my .procmailrc that I think changes any
future ones to MIME - does this sound right?
I've also included the gpg.rc sample file that comes with mutt in my
.muttrc.
Plus I had to dowmnload a gpg-2comp script but I'm not sure if this is
only needed for older versions of mutt (I'm using 1.3.?i I think)

When I try to send an encrypted email and press y it just prints out the
contents of "gpg --list-keys" at the bottom of the screen, then says
"trying to locate key for foo at bar.com" and hangs, even though I do have
the public key for foo at bar.com

A weird thing I noticed was that if I do "gpg --list-keys --with-colons"
I got an error message about a file lock even though the command works
fine without the --with-colons switch.

--
Paul Brazier
Cosmos UK

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk