[Gllug] web server specs

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.net
Mon Oct 1 11:11:56 UTC 2001

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 10:56:39AM +0100, Walid wrote:
>  --- Paul Brazier <pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk> wrote: > I'm looking into
> co-located web servers on a fairly low budget.
> >
> > Would a PIII with say 256M RAM and a 20GB HD be the sort of thing? Or
> > overkill?
> > With just a CD drive, floppy drive and an ethernet card?
>
> I would add a Dat-tape for data-backups,

Actually, I would specifically exclude the DAT drive, the last thing I want
from a colo is a need to keep on visiting it for tape changes :-)

Instead, identify carefully the changeable data on the machine **that is
not already sourced from elsewhere** and back that up over the network.

For example, your web pages don't need backing up (hopefully they come
from a developer's machine in your existing networks). Probably the only
things you want are the system start-up files and config stuff from etc.
Being text, these should be easily backed up over the net (easy to
compress). Everything else (OS and apps) should be easy to rebuild
automatically (or at least by written-down processes).

-jim (don't do what I do, do what I say!)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk