[Gllug] Kernel choices

Walid walidshaari at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 14:30:06 UTC 2001

 --- Chris Ball <chris at void.printf.net> wrote: > On Mon, 2001-10-08 at 14:31,
William Palfreman wrote:
> > What are people's opinions on the correct kernel to use in production
> > systems now?  More particularly, do people think 2.4.10 is now comparable
> > security and stability wise with 2.2.19?
>
> No, it has an entirely new VM.  I'm sticking with 2.2.19 for production.

And that was a good reason for some of the kernel developers to feel suspicious
about it! why 2.4ac series did not dump the old VM code instead of fixing it?!;
I believe new VM means development Release as it is not Mature yet testing
wise.
I am using it, but I would not dare to recommend it in a producation server
until it is had a good testing base!

> > If not, what systems would you run using 2.4.10 (or any earlier
> > ones?).  It has been working fine on my workstations since about 2.4.4
> > now, but they don't exactly do much real work.
>
> My laptop's running 2.4.10.  Seems fast and stable so far, but it just
> sits in X and reads mail occasionally.  No real test of swapping or high
> load.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> ~C.
>
> --
> $a="printf.net"; Chris Ball | chris at void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a
>          "In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."
>

> --

=====

walid at melinux.com
http://www.MeLinux.com

"Learn whatever knowledge you wish to acquire, and act upon what you have learned."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk