[Gllug] Proxy awareness campaign

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 17 22:51:39 UTC 2001

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Kieran Barry stated:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Paul Brazier wrote:
>
>> > definatlely a no,
>> >   no as was connecting the ADSL link to anything other than a single
>> > machine which may not be connected to a network.  If you wanted your
>> > machine to connect to say the children's pc in their bedroom,
>>
>> How would they know if you were doing this anyway? Surely masquerading
>> makes this invisible from outside?
>>
> One obvious way would be the User-agent line in the http headers. These
> often say the platform in use.

Alternatively you could look at the port allocations; a host that had
90% of its source connections from temporary ports (>60000) is almost
certainly running a masquerader of some kind.

(But of course neither of these would help for long; an arms race would
develop, which would just waste everybody's time. Demon has the right
attitude here, I think; that the chance of a houseful of computers
acquiring a houseful of Internet accounts is minimal (not least because
that might well also require a houseful of phone lines to plug the
houseful of modems into!) and that home LANs are here to stay, and that
half their staff have them anyway; so allow them, nay encourage them.

At least, before Demon got blandified by a corporate behemoth, that
*was* their attitude. I think it's still the attitude of those people
there with a clue --- there *are* still some left...)

--
`Btw, in Norwegian... Pine means agony, and although I use it every
 day, I still agree.' --- Lene Jensen on the pine mailer

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk