[Gllug] Mail programs

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Oct 12 11:35:07 UTC 2001

On 10/12/01, 12:07:52 PM, tet at accucard.com wrote regarding Re: [Gllug]
Mail programs :

> While we're on the subject, I'm also looking for a new mail reader.
> I currently use nmh/exmh, which is great, but it's a bit buggy, and
> in particular, it doesn't handle forwarding attachments, which is a
> real pain in the ass. However, I've yet to find anything else that
> meets my requirements, so I stick with it for now. If anyone knows
> of something that:

> - lets me edit messages using vi
> - read mail both when I'm sitting in X, and when I'm remotely logged in
>   from a text-only terminal

Mutt.

> then I'd love to hear about it. those two features are critical and
> non-negotiable. Others that would be nice are:

> - the ability to customise headers, preferably with as much flexibility
>   as mh/nmh
> - allowing me to use procmail to filter incoming mail
> - (optionally) forwards attachments

Mutt.  Highly configurable.  The config file allows you to run shell
commands to initialise settings:

	mutt_setting=`unix command`

giving you plenty of freedom.

> - handles bulk forwarding well

What do you mean, here?  Mutt will hand one copy to the smtp service and
it's up to the smtp daemon to handle delivery.  I thought that was how
all mail clients did it.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk