[Gllug] Ximian GNOME for Red Hat Linux 7.2

Kim Hawtin kim at aldigital.co.uk
Tue Oct 23 05:53:39 UTC 2001

> >lynx -source http://go-gnome.com/ |sh
>
> This was one of the things that initially put me off Ximian. They seem
> to be heading down the Microsoft route of convenience over security,
> which really doesn't sit well with me.

<sarcasm> theres another way? </sarcasm>

> FWIW, though, I put RH7.2 onto my sever last night, and so far am very
> pleased with it. The install procuedure is noticably smoother than for
> previous versions, grub looks nice, and ext3 passed the obligatory yank
> the power lead out of the machine test with flying colours.

there is at least one industry vendor that could use rh7.2 as a base
instead of rh7.0! hmmm, how is the error handling due to install problems?
i have had no end of strangeness if needing to do even only slightly wierd
things during install with rh7.0 ...

> After getting the morning's urgent work out of the way, I'll be upgrading
> my desktop too, which should be a bit more demanding than a simple server
> install.

so does the upgrade stuff actually work yet, redhat have been touting
an upgrade feature for five years, since 3.03, and i've never actually
had it *work*!

yours,

kim
--
| A.L. Digital Ltd.   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755     | "Time is an     |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk