[Gllug] Ximian GNOME for Red Hat Linux 7.2

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Tue Oct 23 11:12:00 UTC 2001

On Tue, 2001-10-23 at 08:14, tet at accucard.com wrote:
> >lynx -source http://go-gnome.com/ |sh
>
> This was one of the things that initially put me off Ximian. They seem
> to be heading down the Microsoft route of convenience over security,
> which really doesn't sit well with me.

Agreed.  Running a shell script without viewing it, let alone with there
being a possibility that it isn't the content you wanted, let alone
doing so into a /root shell/.. it's not good at all.

Of course, they aren't really enforcing convienience over security..
there's nothing stopping you redirecting to a file rather than piping to
sh, and perhaps that's what they expect Those Who Know Better to be
doing.  Furthermore, there's nothing stopping you downloading the source
to each package yourself and compiling that.  Hum.

~C.

--
$a="printf.net"; Chris Ball | chris at void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a
         "In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk