[Gllug] ADSL recommendations (And IPv6)

Dave Cridland [Media UK] dave.cridland at mediauk.com
Thu Oct 11 08:35:02 UTC 2001

> On Wed, 2001-10-10 at 17:37, Jon Masters wrote:
> Our dyndns timed out recently - we'd had the same IP for two months, and
> they assumed we'd stopped using the account.  :)  I think a consensus is
> that if you register an IPv6 block with BT on your ADSL line, they make
> your IP static.  Either that, or they just moved to static for everyone
> a few months back.

Erk. Maybe I ought to double check my dyndns is still working.

BTW, how did you get an IPv6 allocation from BT? I'm intruiged, but not
quite enough to spend ages looking.

> > Richard said something about getting routed netblocks on USB ADSL - in
> > which case I'd really *love* to know who told him that because I was
> > turned down by every ISP I asked for that. It was hard enough to find
> > one (mailbox) who would do handy stuff like whatever reverse DNS I
> > wanted and generally have cool people working for them like Amber (a
> > really nice account manager) and James (who has now left technical).
>
> D'oh.  I'd really, really like a reverse dns allocation on our BT line.

FWIW, Atlantic used to to routed blocks down USB, I believe. I think a mate
of mine had it - he worked there until last Monday, when they laid him off
without pay and cut his line. I suspect that Atlantic aren't really worth
looking at anymore, at least not if you want access after next week or so.
:-/

(Must pull me server out...)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk