[Gllug] Kernel choices

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Mon Oct 8 13:31:47 UTC 2001

What are people's opinions on the correct kernel to use in production
systems now?  More particularly, do people think 2.4.10 is now comparable
security and stability wise with 2.2.19?  My experience running 2.4.2 and
2.4.3 earlier this year showed me they were very unsuitable (network and
disk probs) compared to 2.2.19, but patches have moved on a bit since
then.  I've seen some people talk positively about iptables and stateful
packet filtering:  does that mean you would be willing to use 2.4.10 as a
firewall?  If not, what systems would you run using 2.4.10 (or any earlier
ones?).  It has been working fine on my workstations since about 2.4.4
now, but they don't exactly do much real work.

Regards,
Bill.

--
W. Palfreman.