[Gllug] Kernel choices

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Mon Oct 8 13:44:35 UTC 2001

On Mon, 2001-10-08 at 14:31, William Palfreman wrote:
> What are people's opinions on the correct kernel to use in production
> systems now?  More particularly, do people think 2.4.10 is now comparable
> security and stability wise with 2.2.19?

No, it has an entirely new VM.  I'm sticking with 2.2.19 for production.

> If not, what systems would you run using 2.4.10 (or any earlier
> ones?).  It has been working fine on my workstations since about 2.4.4
> now, but they don't exactly do much real work.

My laptop's running 2.4.10.  Seems fast and stable so far, but it just
sits in X and reads mail occasionally.  No real test of swapping or high
load.

Hope this helps,

~C.

--
$a="printf.net"; Chris Ball | chris at void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a
         "In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk