[Gllug] Distribution Pecking Order So far

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Wed Oct 24 14:13:37 UTC 2001

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, jane taylor wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:58:11 +0100, you wrote:
>
> ~What might be interesting as well is why people use the distros they do.
>
> To follow up my earlier post (don't count these twice!)

[snip]

And for me:
Two slackware boxes at home - one my main (dual PIII) desktop box, one my
home ADSL gateway/icecast server/stuff like that.  I like slackware because
it lets me do things *my way* - I've tried most of the other major distros,
except Debian (I couldn't bring myself to fight the installer any longer),
and Slackware gives a nice combination of a sane and pretty complete system
after a standard install, with a clean and simple system which can be
tweaked/hacked without breaking everything...

Familiar (on my iPAQ) - there are a number of distros available for the iPAQ
now, but familiar is the one with the base technology development going on,
and the main one using X.  I like the fact it's X, because I can do cool
things with the wireless LAN at home and X-over-the-air...

TiVo - not much choice on the distro here...

Solaris on my Sparc box at home, not that I use it very much - I did buy a
copy of Debian for Sparc for this box, but never got round to installing it.
Not that I need it at the moment, but if I were doing any free desktop
software development at the moment, it would be nice to have a dual-booting
Sparc box to hand to test the stuff on Solaris and Linux/Sparc.

Solaris on my boxen at work - well, it's a company standard for some strange
reason.  I'm mainly on Solaris 8 (various releases), but I have spent some
time on Solaris 9, and I'm likely to be moving over for good in a few
weeks...

My history?
Started by trying to 'install' with one of those old root/boot combos, but
it didn't work.  Instead, downloaded Slackware 3.0 (I think - 1.2.13 kernel)
floppy by floppy over the Uni network to the small computer room in the
halls next to mine - to machines which had no usable local storage, so I was
downloading over JANET straight to floppy drives.  The network was a lot
quicker than the drives...  Moved onto Redhat, then SuSE, then back to
Slackware when I got fed up of distros getting in the way of my using my
computer my way - SuSE particularly, with YAST...
Oh, and I spent some time at work in the past using SCO^H^H^HCaldera
UnixWare^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HOpenUnix.  But I'm pretty much recovered from that
now :-)

> Info overload, Harry? :-)

You getting all of this, Harry? :-)

Cheers