[Gllug] Distribution Pecking Order So far

jane taylor jane at moonrose.demnospamon.co.uk
Wed Oct 24 13:53:52 UTC 2001

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:58:11 +0100, you wrote:

~What might be interesting as well is why people use the distros they do.

To follow up my earlier post (don't count these twice!)

RedHat 6.2 at work is stable as a rock, has a lot of stuff on and it's
on an old Dell P166MMX overclocked to 200MMX. I don't need anything
else, and  it's my main interface with the Sun cluster.  If it ain't
broke...  It may be ancient but it's got a 19" monitor :-) and I'm
writing this on it now.

RedHat 7.0 at home got put on in replacement for SuSE 6.4 when I
upgraded my system and the SuSE sadly couldn't cope with half my new
hardware. And after buying the kit I couldn't afford to buy the OS
upgrade!

Mandrake 8.1 or RH7.2 (whichever I can beat into submission first) is
soon going to be used to replace the RH7.0 as I've run into a problem
with KDE's kmail that I haven't yet seen discussed on this list -
after the Unix billennium, a lot of my mail has come through as being
sent in Sept 1973, and half of it mysteriously disappears during
download, leaving me with dozens of 'unknown' mail files with nothing
in (!).  I have assumed it can't count.  So KDE 2 here I come.
Meanwhile, have had to go back to using Win95 and Agent as my main
mail collector :-I

Additions that I didn't confess to before, since we're now also
counting non-Linux OS:

W95 at work on second drive of the RH6.2 Dell box.

W2K (home ADSL connection on Athlon box)
W95 (home - same box - both of these are on removeable drives so get
swapped in when I need them)
W95 on printservers x 2 (home) though one of them also has RH 6.0 on
dual boot :->

Solaris 8 (Athlon) at work - nice solid machine, holds the longest
uptime record in the place from while it was Solaris 7
Solaris 2.6 and 2.7 Sparcs all over the place. I use four of them
regularly. Plus a SunOS 4.1.4 MR scanner!

And the history spot:
first work install RH 4.1, upgraded to 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 6.0, 6.2
(current)
home RH 5.0, 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, SuSE 6.4  and RH 7.0 (current but
sulking)

Info overload, Harry? :-)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk