[Gllug] 1u rackmounted servers

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Tue Oct 2 13:24:22 UTC 2001

>With these 1U rackmounted web servers such as the Cobalt ones, it looks
>like they don't have a floppy or CD drive. So how do you install the OS
>on it in the first place?

1. All of our 1U servers have a CD-ROM.
2. You can install over the network.

>Even with network installs you need the kernel and basic filesystem
>stuff on a floppy don't you?

No, you can load the install image onto the machine using TFTP. On
a Sparc, just "boot net" and it'll all sort itself out from there.
I assume x86 hardware has similar netboot options (PXE?), but have
never investigated it closely enough to say for sure.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk