[Gllug] dual head X freezing?

Steve Nicholson steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com
Wed Oct 17 16:07:04 UTC 2001

I have one 17" Ast monitor driven by a Matrox Mystique 4MB card and a
15" HP driven by a Matrox Millennium 2MB card, Debian with xfree86 v4.1,
Xinerama on.  On startup XFree86 interrogates and finds the monitors and
graphic cards correctly.

Problem: When I drag a window from one screen across to the other
everything freezes accept the mouse, the pointer stays in the shape of
the hand or four headed cross, I can move the mouse around the screen
the window is in but not back to the other screen, does not respond to
keyboard (ctrl+alt+del, or ctrl+atl+backspace to kill the xserver).  I
have to turn off the power to reboot it.  This happens with the logon
window as well for GDM, so I think it is something to do with X rather
than gnome.

Changes I made:  I was working fine with two 15" HP monitors driven by
two Matrox Millennium 2MB cards.  I thought I would swap my 17" monitor
and Matrox Mystique 4MB card in a Win95 box with one 15" on the Linux
box to give me more working area.  I did change the XF86Config file for
the new card and monitor although I copied one of the HP monitors
sections and changed it's identification to "monitor2" referencing this
in the Screen sections and doing the required changes to "monitor2" for
the new 17" monitor.

Questions: Would leaving a "monitor" section that isn't referenced to
other sections affect things, should I have commented it out?
Where should I be looking to find out what is causing the problem?  Have
looked in both the xfree86.0.log and .xsession-errors files and don't
see anything that might indicate the problem.  There is a note in the
end of the xfree86.0.log that "screen 0 shares mem & io resources" and
"screen 2 shares mem & io resources"

thanks
Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk