[Gllug] Roll your own

gllug at uncertainty.org.uk gllug at uncertainty.org.uk
Tue Oct 30 18:01:47 UTC 2001

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 03:51:40PM +0000, Walid wrote:
> James Bailey wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I just been looking into roll your own linux distribution. I'm sure it may
> > have been mentioned on the list before but have we thought of make a GLUG
> > distribution, just how we like it...
>
> Sorry, Posted before finishing!!
>
> Where have you been Looking?; the good two places I know of are :
> BYO          http://www.byolinux.org/theindex.asp
> LFS          http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
>
> There is ALFS which basically you can define profiles, so you can have a
> profile for the server, Gnome workstation, Debian profile, RH profile, the
> possibility are endless!!!, and the good thing about it will make automated
> Install, you do not have to wait 2 days, or weekends until you have made you
> distro

I gave up on LFS after
a) I realised that make is even worse than rpm at sprinkling files all over your system
b) I realised that rpm is really powerfull, can build from source
c) I decided to learn how to rolll my own rpms (haven't domne it yet)
c) The ALFS list degenerated intoo a war for/against rpm

oh yeah and my LFS system worked - but had several little bugs in it - I
decided I quite like using distros that have had proper testing :)

--

Sean