[Gllug] mutt/gpg - success

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Fri Oct 12 08:21:54 UTC 2001

I've finally got mutt and gpg to work properly.
I removed and re-installed the mutt rpm and re-used my saved .muttrc and
gpg.rc and it worked. (Mandrake 8.0)
But without my tweaked .muttrc and gpg.rc it was using /etc/Muttrc (I
think) which is pretty empty and didn't do {en|de}cryption at all. So
I'm not really sure what the problem was.
I did notice mutt left loads of temporary files lying around in various
places, probably because I had to Ctrl-C when gpg was hanging, so
perhaps one of these was locking everything up.

> I don't use gpg.rc - my muttrc was created by the muttrc
> builder (but I
> think that really just set up where to collect mail from) all
> pgp related entries are commented out!

What is this muttrc builder and how do I access it? All I got was a
couple of example .muttrc's and a gpg.rc.

> but.. there is an interesting dicusiion going on on the
> mutt-users mailing
> list at the moment. It seems like mutt uses the latest
> standard (mime/pgp)
> but most other mail clients use pgp/cleartext which is an old
> and apparenltly
> broken standard (content is labeled as plain text when it is
> better labeled as
> pgp text and the system doesn't work for non-ascii text)
>
> there are variuos threads that you could look at
> http://www.mail-archive.com/mutt-users@mutt.org/msg19618.html
> http://www.mail-archive.com/mutt-users@mutt.org/msg19459.html
> http://www.mail-archive.com/mutt-users@mutt.org/msg19456.html

Thanks, I'll check out this mailing list.
I did also have to include the procmail amendment to convert inline PGP
(like Outlook Express sends) to MIME attachments.

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk