[Gllug] mutt/gpg - success

gllug at uncertainty.org.uk gllug at uncertainty.org.uk
Fri Oct 12 10:25:58 UTC 2001

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 09:21:54AM +0100, Paul Brazier wrote:
> I've finally got mutt and gpg to work properly.
> I removed and re-installed the mutt rpm and re-used my saved .muttrc and
> gpg.rc and it worked. (Mandrake 8.0)
> But without my tweaked .muttrc and gpg.rc it was using /etc/Muttrc (I
> think) which is pretty empty and didn't do {en|de}cryption at all. So
> I'm not really sure what the problem was.
> I did notice mutt left loads of temporary files lying around in various
> places, probably because I had to Ctrl-C when gpg was hanging, so
> perhaps one of these was locking everything up.

I have set no custom info for pgp - so mutt is just using the /etc/Muttrc
that came with my rpms (RH 7.1)

the pgp related setting in /etc/Muttrc are
set pgp_decode_command="gpg %?p?--passphrase-fd 0? --no-verbose --batch --output - %f"
set pgp_verify_command="gpg --no-verbose --batch --output - --verify %s %f"
set pgp_decrypt_command="gpg --passphrase-fd 0 --no-verbose --batch --output - %f"
set pgp_sign_command="gpg --no-verbose --batch --output - --passphrase-fd 0 --armor --detach-sign --textmode %?a?-u %a? %f"
set pgp_clearsign_command="gpg --no-verbose --batch --output - --passphrase-fd 0 --armor --textmode --clearsign %?a?-u %a? %f"
set pgp_encrypt_only_command="pgpewrap gpg -v --batch --output - --encrypt --textmode --armor --always-trust -- -r %r -- %f"
set pgp_encrypt_sign_command="pgpewrap gpg --passphrase-fd 0 -v --batch --output - --encrypt --sign %?a?-u %a? --armor --always-trust -- -r %r -- %f"
set pgp_import_command="gpg --no-verbose --import -v %f"
set pgp_export_command="gpg --no-verbose --export --armor %r"
set pgp_verify_key_command="gpg --no-verbose --batch --fingerprint --check-sigs %r"
set pgp_list_pubring_command="gpg --no-verbose --batch --with-colons --list-keys %r"
set pgp_list_secring_command="gpg --no-verbose --batch --with-colons --list-secret-keys %r"
set pgp_getkeys_command=""

> > I don't use gpg.rc - my muttrc was created by the muttrc
> > builder (but I
> > think that really just set up where to collect mail from) all
> > pgp related entries are commented out!
>
> What is this muttrc builder and how do I access it? All I got was a
> couple of example .muttrc's and a gpg.rc.

http://mutt.netliberte.org/

It's a simple web based sytem (it doesn't like proxies)
I found it a quick way to find the right commands.

> > but.. there is an interesting dicusiion going on on the
> > mutt-users mailing
> > list at the moment. It seems like mutt uses the latest
> > standard (mime/pgp)
> > but most other mail clients use pgp/cleartext which is an old
> > and apparenltly
> > broken standard (content is labeled as plain text when it is
> > better labeled as
> > pgp text and the system doesn't work for non-ascii text)
> >
> > there are variuos threads that you could look at
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/mutt-users@mutt.org/msg19618.html
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/mutt-users@mutt.org/msg19459.html
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/mutt-users@mutt.org/msg19456.html
>
> Thanks, I'll check out this mailing list.
> I did also have to include the procmail amendment to convert inline PGP
> (like Outlook Express sends) to MIME attachments.

I should get around to doing this but at the moment I mostly see pgp
from mutt users (here or on the mutt list) - some of the announcements
on bugtraq are made in Outlook style :(

--

Sean