[Gllug] Ximain/GNOME strangeness

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Mon Oct 15 15:15:22 UTC 2001

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 04:07:59PM +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> Folks,
> I'm running the Ximian/GNOME desktop.
>
> It seems to have gone off its trolley today.
> On startup, it is claiming that the window manager which is running is
> not Gnome compliant, then when it does start up I get a very weird
> behaviour -
> ie. all windows are fixe size, stuck in the top left hand corner.
> Seems to me there is no window manager running.

This happened to me when I somehow (without knowing) managed to
remove sawfish from the list of things that gets started.

If you open up the configuration editor and go to session bit, in
the satrtup programs there should be sawfish set to respawn.  If
not, add it.

You might be able to fix it (temporarily) without leaving X by
simply running sawfish from an xterm.

As an aside has anyone tried the latest mozilla (0.9.5) with the
latest galeon (0.12.4) yet?  I don't really wan to bother
downloading them both over modem unless they are likely to work.. :)

--
<Emma> i gotta be gettin off now
<ben-> ok, emma, i was getting kinda squashed anyway