[Gllug] On Linux desktops...

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Wed Oct 17 16:45:42 UTC 2001

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, David Damerell wrote:

> On Wednesday, 17 Oct 2001, Richard Cohen wrote:
> >On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, David Damerell wrote:
> >>Out of interest, what do you imagine the 'G' in GUI - that
> >>distinguishes it from just a 'UI' - stands for?
> >Bash has a UI.  In my opinion, it has quite a nice UI, with things like
> >(programmable in newer releases) tab-completion, variable substitution and
> >so on.  I doubt anybody would attempt to argue that bash has a GUI.
>
> Well, quite. But Alex Hudson seems to think that a text based screen
> mode UI is a GUI, which it ain't.

Okay - so it's the difference between line-based non-graphical UI and visual
non-graphical UI.  I would say a visual non-graphical UI has more in common
with a 'true' GUI than with a line-based UI, and so unless the second line
is drawn, visual belongs with GUI.

> >>Which is meaningless to the experienced user.
> >Everyone uses everything for the first time once.  If that can be made
> >easier without making it harder for more experienced users, why not?
>
> In theory, yes; in practice, this always seems to result in a tool
> that's completely useless to anyone with any experience, like
> Pine. Dunno why, but there it is.

So are you saying I don't have any experience or that Pine is useless to me?

One is an insult (and in my opinion not true), the other is just plain not
true.

You don't need to answer that on-list...

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk