[Gllug] On Linux desktops...

mike mike at redtux.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 03:12:07 UTC 2001

On Wed, 2001-10-17 at 17:45, Richard Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, David Damerell wrote:

> > >Bash has a UI.  In my opinion, it has quite a nice UI, with things like
> > >(programmable in newer releases) tab-completion, variable substitution and
> > >so on.  I doubt anybody would attempt to argue that bash has a GUI.
> >
> > Well, quite. But Alex Hudson seems to think that a text based screen
> > mode UI is a GUI, which it ain't.
>
> Okay - so it's the difference between line-based non-graphical UI and visual
> non-graphical UI.  I would say a visual non-graphical UI has more in common
> with a 'true' GUI than with a line-based UI, and so unless the second line
> is drawn, visual belongs with GUI.

Question

Assuming most people here have compiled a kernel - what is the
difference in reality between menuconfig (curses/UI/Text) and xconfig
(GUI) re: ease of use - AFAIK THERE IS IS NONE.

A GUI involves so many more factors than ease of use - resources used,
need for a mouse, speed of use etc. Good  UI has not neccesarily got
anything to do with GUI's -  can do yes but not neccesarily

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk