[Gllug] Strange Attractor Talk

Kim Hawtin kim at aldigital.co.uk
Wed Oct 3 16:05:18 UTC 2001

> All of the kit I can find seems to be limited to 11Mb/s
>
> This includes the wavelan / Orinoco stuff.
>
> Does anyone know of any faster kit?

if you need/want a faster network connection, then you could
use the non-existant 5GHz equipment, or the amazingly
expensive 58GHz point to point microwave and pay the very
large licence fee.

> Another point is that the Orinoco kit has a transmission range of
> 16miles.  The consume network would get much better coverage using this
> that the 2Km ilustrated on their site.  This seems far too obvious - I
> must be missing something - any pointers ;-)

In the US the maximum output from a system, ie card + cable + antenna(e)
is 1W! with a maximum practical range of 35 miles, mountain top to....

here it is 100mW .... 2KM is perfectly reasonable, roof top to roof top,
with line of sight.

yours,

Kim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk