[Gllug] Spoofing?

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Mon Oct 15 00:21:24 UTC 2001

On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, Nick Hill wrote:

> I don't think us referring to the archives is the issue.
>
> IIRC, I first found out about the group by doing a web search, hit
> upon the archives then found out about GLLUG.
>
> I think GLLUG is an important resource to have available on the web
> for the sharing of information and bringing in new members.

I agree.  It is very useful to be able to have a search engine dig out
posts to a mailinglist.  What is not useful is then having your email
address harvested.  So I would rather have my email address hidden by the
website than for there to be no access by the outside world at all.  In
general, most questions and problems have been solved before, and it makes
life much easier to be able to bung a few key words into Google and have
it throw out the right answer.  Not allowing anonymous reading of the
postings is not very good on a technical list like this IMO - not very
reciprocal.  We gain by other lists publicising their postings, but we
don't do the same ourselves, possibly causing someone a lot of extra
bother.  If this can be solved by simply turning of a show-email-addresses
type feature, I would much rather that happened than a straight blocking.

Regards,
Bill.

--
W. Palfreman.
PGP key on ftp://ftp.palfreman.com/pub/wfpkey.asc

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk