[Gllug] Disk errors.

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Tue Oct 9 19:36:39 UTC 2001

On Tuesday 09 October 2001 16:06, you wrote:
> ontagu kernel: hda: read_intr:
> status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error } Sep 30 04:25:15

Jiggered.

> I've seen this before with suspect kernels - this is the Redhat 2.2.19
> stock kernel though.

I have to say, I would be more than surprised if that was a software error!

> certainly ran very hot without a fan for ages without a fan.  That being
> said, it has been some months with its fan now, and it could be merely the
> cool breeze blowing over it that keeps it alive.

HDs don't care about temperature too much (in that, they get hot, that's part
of being a HD). They do mind the temperature changing though - getting hot,
getting cold, getting hot, etc., isn't great.

> Anyway, does anyone have any specific advice?

Run badblocks on it. I would suspect there will be an area of the drive not
working, and things will get very slow when Linux hits it.

Cheers,
			Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk