[Gllug] Distribution Pecking Order So far

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Thu Oct 25 14:36:00 UTC 2001

For my own impolite ends I was poking around how to remove a password from
an Excel spreadsheet.

In early (pre 7.0) versions I believe that yes, the password was trivial. In
7 and later it's actually pretty secure. When you look for commercial people
to crack them you start looking at things that read more like brute-force
attacks.

However people who make Excel spreadsheets are generally not the sort who're
familiar with rc4, brute-force attacks, or computer security in general. On
the sheet I was fiddling with the password guesser would have taken under 5
seconds to reply that it had the password, but it wasn't going to hand it
over until I registered the program. I expect that the cracker itself used
real encryption on its rego codes - how I looked for a crack :(

Fortunately I figured that I didn't need to do dodgy stuff to make it do
what I wanted... I was actually disappointed about not being able to slide a
questionable spreadsheet under the noses of finance for a while (it's not
fun, and too dangerous, to do that for more than 'a while' :).

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk