[Gllug] updating red hat

Ms. Lene Jensen ljensen at redhat.com
Mon Oct 29 13:19:12 UTC 2001

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Jackson, Harry wrote:

Hi Harry,

I am a bit confused as to what you want to do, upgrade you RH6.1 box to
7.2? The Red Hat distribution for 7.X has XFree86v4 included in the
distro, anyway, if you want to upgrade your X and not your RH, you can
upgrade your rpm-database and install the XFree86-rpm.

> I noticed in the install readme for some of these files that gcc3 was not to
> be used, is this the broken RH gcc they are referring to (just curious I do
> not have it).

Red Hat never shipped a broken gcc, what we did, for RH7 only, was to ship
a gcc which was newer than the kernel packages needed.  So to compile a
kernel, you needed an old version, which we called kgcc.  For RH7.1 and
RH7.2 we are using the same version as anyone else.  The gcc was never
broken, it was just too new for the kernel.  Our gcc was version 2.96, the
kgcc was 2.95, which all the other distros used at the time. Hope this
cleared that up :)

LJ
--
10 Alan Turing Road | Tel: +441483734926 | Want Linux training or
Guildford           | Fax: +441483734956 | certification?  Go to

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk