[Gllug] updating red hat

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Mon Oct 29 12:09:44 UTC 2001

Hi all

	Could someone give me a few answers to the following and before you
ask yes I have been on google. I know this is a long winded email no smart
remarks please and in bits it rambles but my head is very sore from Saturday
and Sunday with Linux. I was actually dreaming about make files and vim last
night and that is not a joke.

If someone's using RH and X Windows 4.x could they tell me what Binary I
need to get from ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.1.0/binaries/ I think
that this can be found by running the following command below. I want to
download it while I am at work but am unsure as to what Binary to get.
sh Xinstall.sh -check
I found some details on google but was unable to tell how up to date it was.
I am running RH6.1.

I have installed KDE2.2 (very fancy, I was very very impressed)
qt-2.3.1---->kdelibs----->kdebase. This is as far as I have got because I
have had a lot of fun with trying to install all the packages from source.
Is this all I need or are there anything in the other packages that I would
require, when I read the basic contents they seem to be superfluous to
requirements. I am unable to get the kdedoc package installed because I do
not have Perl 5.6 which I have just got off the web now and providing all
goes well I will be installing tonight. I noticed that someone mentioned
than an upgrade to make and autoconf was required to install Perl 5.6.1. Are
the following versions the latest or good enough to install Perl "make-3.79"
"autoconf-2.52." as I have just downloaded them as well. I can also remember
reading about someone (Kim I think ) requiring an upgrade to BASH is this
also recommended I see BASH 2.05 is out so it will be going on as well.
Someone else has asked if Kernel 2.4.13 is slow I intend to put this on
tonight as well.

I noticed in the install readme for some of these files that gcc3 was not to
be used, is this the broken RH gcc they are referring to (just curious I do
not have it).

I have the bandwidth to download and burn the two redhat CD's but I am
trying to learn how to do it from scratch and I get a warm fuzzy feeling
when it all works. I know I am cheating with the X binary but I had a look
at the manual install and I am trying to get a running modern system up as
fast as I can (without the CD's). I am thinking of doing the install in this
order using a script

X Windows I will not put this in the script as I think this will be the one
that will bugger up my PC and require a reinstall.

Put the following in a script
make 3.79
autoconf 2.52
BASH 2.05
Perl 5.6.1
kdedoc
kernel 2.4.13

The script will be in BASH. Will the BASH upgrade be affected by this, I do
not think it will because the "make Install" (if this is what is used) will
complete before the next command is read from the script is my logic here
correct.

Oh and thanks for the help last night Bruce but I could have done with a bit
more help after I got everything up and running. For some reason when I
rebooted after I got back into Windows it refused to recognise my root
password. Now I made sure that I had got the correct key combination because
KDE22 remapped my keyboard. I booted to single user (no login prompt which I
find very strange bad security) having a look at the /etc/group file I
noticed that it had been corrupted at least VI told me it was and ls gr*
was telling me that it was as well. However I was able to open it in pine. I
deleted the corrupted one and renamed the old one and still no joy with the
login. I also noticed that trying to add a user gave me something like "bad
gid 100".

Now do not laugh but I used the linuxcare disc (I just wanted to have a go
with it again). when I mounted the /usr directory and typed ls I got
nothing, zip, bugger all. I also noticed that when I was creating files in
the /etc directory I got a "no more room on device error". This would make
me think that I had actually used up my entire disk or at least the root
partition which considering how much stuff I had unpacked to it yesterday is
very feasible because in the install I only gave / 1Gb. Like a typical
newbie I assumed Linux would let me know if I was getting to close to the
max disk size. This is of course assuming that that was the problem but I
think it was. I have now given the / partition 8Gb so hopefully I will get 8
days of fun before I do it again as I am not the quickest learner DOH.

Anon, if you are not up to much later tonight you are more than welcome to
come and hold my hand as I think I am going to have a scream with the above
(you live and learn)

On side note KDE22 is fantastic (looking, have not had time to play with it
as I keep breaking it ;-) ) my SO was very impressed with it when she was
using it even though she is a Windows fan.

Regards;
Harry Jackson.

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. 020 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk