[Gllug] mutt/gpg

gllug at uncertainty.org.uk gllug at uncertainty.org.uk
Thu Oct 11 13:24:58 UTC 2001

Hi,
   I've missed the earlier mails in this thread ... but

mutt and gpg work out of the box for me...

(using the RH 7.1 rpms)

- although I did have to create my own key and edit the gpg/options file
to set a keyserver that I use.

I don't use gpg.rc - my muttrc was created by the muttrc builder (but I
think that really just set up where to collect mail from) all pgp related entries are commented out!

but.. there is an interesting dicusiion going on on the mutt-users mailing
list at the moment. It seems like mutt uses the latest standard (mime/pgp)
but most other mail clients use pgp/cleartext which is an old and apparenltly
broken standard (content is labeled as plain text when it is better labeled as
pgp text and the system doesn't work for non-ascii text)

there are variuos threads that you could look at
http://www.mail-archive.com/mutt-users@mutt.org/msg19618.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/mutt-users@mutt.org/msg19459.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/mutt-users@mutt.org/msg19456.html

or from the mutt faq
-------------

Why can't Mutt decode this PGP mail sent with Pine/ELMme/etc?
Because this PGP mail does not say it is a PGP mail in the header, and Mutt only scans the header of mails. This is a feature!

Well, there is a solution for your problem, if you use procmail. Add these lines to your .procmailrc:

# Add a "Content-Type: application/pgp" header so Mutt will know the
# mail is encrypted.
:0 fBw
* ^-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
| formail -i "Content-Type: application/pgp; format=text; x-action=encryptsign"

# Add a "Content-Type: application/pgp" header so Mutt will know the
# mail is signed.
:0 fBw