[Gllug] ADSL recommendations

Jarvis, Richie RJarvis at SignalSoftCorp.com
Thu Oct 11 09:30:47 UTC 2001

The issue of using a dynamic ip address to provide servers isn't really a
problem.  I have cable modem, where the IP address of the machine does
change (infrequently), and therefore I have signed up to one of the many
dynamic DNS providers around on the net - I use hn.org, and when the IP
address changes a simple script runs which informs hn.org that it has
changed.

As to getting a new 486 board with PCI onboard, or a board with USB already
built in, I don't think it really matters, as USB cards are incredibly cheap
nowadays.  If you get stuck, I have recently acquired some old 486 and 586
mobos with CPU's, all with PCI on (don't know about USB - they haven't got a
USB port built in, and didn't have one connected when I got them - u are
welcome to if you fancy a trip outta the old smoke :)

Cheers,

Richie Jarvis
Technical Support Engineer, EMEA
SignalSoft Corporation