[Gllug] Distribution Pecking Order So far

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Oct 24 11:28:00 UTC 2001

> What might be interesting as well is why people use the distros they do.

boot/root direct from Linus
    Because there were no distributions...

MCC
    Because I didn't have a big enough hard drive for SLS at the time,
    nor the bandwidth to download it sensibly

Slackware
    Because after I'd outgrown MCC, it was the only viable option. That
	said, downloading and writing 65 floppies wasn't always the easiest
	of tasks :-)

Red Hat
    Because it was new, and I thought I'd give it a go. Despite initially
    hating it (everything was in a different place to Slackware), I grew
    to like it

Debian/Caldera/SuSE
    Just to try them out

In the end, though, I've settled on Red Hat, purely because IMHO, it's
the distribution that gets it most right overall. That's not to say
I'm 100% happy with it (RPMs inability to have multiple versions of
a particular package installed concurrently is a pain, for example),
but it's just better than the alternatives, and I don't have time to
roll my own to get it right.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk