[Gllug] Perl 5.6.1 ?

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Fri Oct 26 20:30:13 UTC 2001

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 04:46:31PM +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> I read an article on  npulse in the latest Linux Journal
> (OK Dean - it was Marcel Gagne's Cooking with Linux column,
> but that still doesn't make it a bad thing)
>
> Npulse in network monitoring software http://www.horsburgh.com/h_npulse.com
> So far so good.

> But it needs Perl 5.6.1, and I'm running Redhat 7.1
> Last time I compiled Perl from source and installed, I remember hours
> of endless joy.
>
> Can anyone say what the version of Perl which ships with RH 7.2 is please?
> This might motivate me into upgrading.

Unfortunately RedHat 7.2 still has 5.6.0. When I built Request Tracker the
MySQL modules needed 5.6.1 so I rebuilt Perl and a couple of dozen modules
using CPAN, which was a bit of a time consumer but not difficult.

If npulse needs mod_perl you'll have to recompile Apache, which is much
more of a sod then Perl. I've only succeeded using Apache Toolbox:
	http://www.apachetoolbox.com/

> And yes - high time I stopped this childish RPM dependency and acted like
> a Real Man (TM) and switch to Rock Linux, or Debian.

Do they have Perl 5.6.1 ?

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk