[Gllug] start sleeping processes from another VT?

Steve Nicholson steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com
Tue Oct 9 10:12:54 UTC 2001

How can I start a sleeping process from a different terminal than the
one it originally started and is running in (and have it restart in the
original terminal)?

Doing an install for Debian I "ctrl-Z" when prompted to edit the
local.gen file but didn't get to a CLI to open an editor, it's just a
blank screen with the cursor blinking at the top, so I can't bring the
install back into the foreground with "fg".  I can login as root to
tty2, doing ps ax I can see that the "deselect", "install" etc. have a
status of "S" for tty1.

So is it possible for me to wake these processes from tty2 and have the
install carry on in tty1?  I always wondered if this was possible, have
had a search round but can't find any information that helps.  I need
the opposite of kill?

Thanks
Steve.
(stuck mid install)