[Gllug] Linux to benefit from council outrage

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 00:02:00 UTC 2001

John Hearns wrote:

> So not all of the networking press articles cause me
> to have a coronary...
>
> Page 3 of this week's Network News has an item on the
> local authority SocITM threatening to go Linux and StarOffice.
> They're not happy with the costs of Microsoft XP, and the
> licensing changes Microsoft are bringing in.

Braintree coucil were having fits. There was also an article about the
Budestag in Germany considering a switch, and the Scottish Police are
already using Star Office, IIRR.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the last month or two has seen a
distinct increase of "looking for MS alternatives and considering Linux
seriously" articles in the trade rags.

I think Microsoft's new licensing strategy may well end up doing them
more harm than good - even though they've backed down a bit, an *awful*
lot of people seem to be very pissed off with them. Cynic that I am, I
think a lot of the anger comes from people who've bought into vendor
lock in ouf of laziness/herd mentality, and are now looking more and
more stupid as Microsoft's demands become more outrageous.

What does eveyone else think?

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk