[Gllug] Distribution Pecking Order So far

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Wed Oct 24 09:58:11 UTC 2001

What might be interesting as well is why people use the distros they do.
For example I've used
RedHat 6.0 because it came with a book I bought.
Mandrake 8.0 because it came free with a magazine.
RedHat 7.1 because it came pre-installed on a computer I bought.
Debian mainly for its political/ethical viewpoint.

I don't have a high-speed internet connection and I've not come across
anywhere near me selling cheap distros so generally my choice is
determined by what CDs come my way rather than from an informed choice
as to which one is technically the best or easiest - so down to
marketing basically. I suppose I could buy cheap CDs over the web but
I've only recently had a credit card so I've not explored that avenue.

I suspect this might be the same for most home users - business users
would be different I suppose.

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk