[Gllug] ADSL recommendations

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 11 01:26:28 UTC 2001

Chris Ball wrote:

> On Wed, 2001-10-10 at 17:08, Steve Nicholson wrote:
> > One thing to be aware of with the USB slug is getting a board that can
> > supply enough current to it, apparently some have problems.
>
> My experience was the opposite; the USB modem was managing to take more
> than 0.5mA,

Don't you mean 0.5A ? Half a milliamp really isn't allowing all that
much :-)

> and the motherboard was then shutting the USB subsystem down
> for taking too much power.  It's all a bit vague, but that's what we
> figured was probably responsible.  In any case, it seems that many of
> the problems with the Alcatel modem and Linux are caused by bad
> engineering in the modem, rather than the Linux device drivers.  Maybe.
> :)

IIRR, the USB bus specification states that devices may draw no more
than 500 millamps. The Alcatel modem is misdesigned, and operates out of
spec. It is, quite rightly, shut down by some boards, as they regard it
as a faulty device (which it is).

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk