[Gllug] ADSL recommendations

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Wed Oct 10 16:07:49 UTC 2001

On Wed, 2001-10-10 at 17:08, Steve Nicholson wrote:
> One thing to be aware of with the USB slug is getting a board that can
> supply enough current to it, apparently some have problems.

My experience was the opposite; the USB modem was managing to take more
than 0.5mA, and the motherboard was then shutting the USB subsystem down
for taking too much power.  It's all a bit vague, but that's what we
figured was probably responsible.  In any case, it seems that many of
the problems with the Alcatel modem and Linux are caused by bad
engineering in the modem, rather than the Linux device drivers.  Maybe.
:)

~C.

--
$a="printf.net"; Chris Ball | chris at void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a
         "In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk