[Gllug] DHCP weirdness

Rob Andrews rob at impure.org.uk
Fri Sep 21 11:01:53 UTC 2001

[21-Sep-2001 10:54.44 (BST) / Rev Simon Rumble]
 > I'm trying to get a sane OS installed here at work on my Win2k (ugh)
 > machine.  I'm running under a beta of VMWare (beta 3 build 1364)
 > running Debian.  My /etc/network/interfaces has the usual:
 > iface eth0 inet dhcp
 >
 > However it never manages to get a lease.  The servers are, of course,
 > NT/Win2k but surely MS haven't embraced and exploded DHCP?
[snip]
 > They claim their DHCP servers aren't tied to MAC address or
 > anything so I don't see what the problem is.

vmware has two types of networking that you are probably very aware of:
bridged and host-only. Providing you've setup bridged networking as
expected, and it still doesn't work, the only answer is that they *have*
direct MAC -> IP addresses settings in the DHCP server configuration.

There's other things to consider too. If you're using one of those funky
secure switches, it may be that the switch has port security turned on,
which disables the port if the MAC address is not that of the one it's
expecting. Since vmware creates a special MAC address for the virtual
network bridge, this could be the case.

HTH,
n.

--
<pgp> 0x8bb5c71e  "This Basil. This Basil's hand. This smack on the head."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk