[Gllug] The Network is the Computer?

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Thu Sep 6 12:33:02 UTC 2001

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 01:31:50PM +0000, Jim Bailey wrote:

> Why stop at ATM, gigabyte ethernet for all, now if I can just find some
> remotely justifiable reason to have a IBM S390 running linux for my
> desktop box I will be able to flood the gigabyte ethernet, which means
> 10gigabyte ethernet, which means...

Well I can already flood gigabit with a dual PIII 833 compaq DL380
running Red Hat linux in real world situations.  I dunno what
gigaBYTE ethernet is, but I do hope to play with some 10 Gigabit
cards in order to see what can be done there.

> On a more serious note compare the prices between 10base and 10/100base
> cards if the price difference isn't too great consider the 10/100 over
> time it will prove its worth.

Last time I looked the price differential between any two 10base and
10/100 PCI generic ethernet cards was either non existant, or else
the 10/100 was actually cheaper.  That's certainlygood enough for
home.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk