[Gllug] The Network is the Computer?

Jim Bailey jim at lateral.net
Thu Sep 6 13:31:50 UTC 2001

On Thursday, September 6, 2001, at 12:48 PM, John Hearns wrote:

> Gordon Joly wrote:
>
>> At 11:38 +0000 2001-09-06, Jim Bailey wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Formi,

There is no reason for the madness that is BIG KIT!

>> So why stop ay 100 Megabits? Put in ATM at 600+ Megabits?

Why stop at ATM, gigabyte ethernet for all, now if I can just find some
remotely justifiable reason to have a IBM S390 running linux for my
desktop box I will be able to flood the gigabyte ethernet, which means
10gigabyte ethernet, which means...

> Ahhh..... a man after my own heart.
> ATM to the desktop, I feel all warm and fuzzy.

It is a lovely though :-)

> (BTW, we run gigabit ethernet to the desktop in a fair few cases in these
> parts.
> Still would prefer ATM though. Sniffle....)

why?

On a more serious note compare the prices between 10base and 10/100base
cards if the price difference isn't too great consider the 10/100 over
time it will prove its worth.

Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk