[Gllug] simple lan

Leigh Mason leigh.mason at virgin.net
Tue Sep 18 15:54:13 UTC 2001

> From: Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com>
> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:21:45 +0100
> To: gllug at linux.co.uk
> Subject: Re: [Gllug] simple lan
>
> On Tuesday 18 September 2001 16:09, you wrote:
>> No. My guess would be it's because you're using a patch cable without
>> a hub. If you're connecting two machines directly, then you'll need a
>> crossover cable (or is it straight through? I can never remember which
>> is which).
>
> Crossover for straight thru and uplinks, patch for the rest. I think he
> mentioned he was using cross, though.

well... on the box it said cross over, but on examination of the cable it
says "belkin cat5e patch cable"

> I want to know how he managed to ping from a Mac - please share this golden
> info ;))

a freeware tool similar to:
http://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/network.html

> I would guess that there's a problem with the Mac TCP/IP setting.

doubt whether it is a mac problem - there is only a limited configuration
file and it works okay with w98.

>It might not like 10.0.0/24, because that's a bit odd (I know it doesn't like
>setting
> a DNS search root to something without a dot in it too, depending how early a
> version it is).

i believe that the mac does not need to use dns because the ping is being
transmitted in an octet format on the local network.

>I would do a tcpdump on the linux box while trying to view a
> web page on the Mac or something, and see if anything at all comes through.
> Otherwise, sounds like a dodgy cable.

as i mentioned before the cable works fine between the machines on another
os.
> Are the link lights lit?

what link lights?
> Cheers,