[Gllug] simple lan

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Tue Sep 18 16:07:42 UTC 2001

On Tuesday 18 September 2001 16:54, you wrote:
> well... on the box it said cross over, but on examination of the cable it
> says "belkin cat5e patch cable"

Whoopsie ;) That's the problem!

> a freeware tool similar to:
> http://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/network.html

Cheers ;)

> >It might not like 10.0.0/24, because that's a bit odd (I know it doesn't
> > like setting
> > a DNS search root to something without a dot in it too, depending how
> > early a version it is).
>
> i believe that the mac does not need to use dns because the ping is being
> transmitted in an octet format on the local network.

Sorry, I was only quoting the DNS problem because it's something I'm
grappling with at work, I didn't mean to infer it had any bearing on your
problem.

> as i mentioned before the cable works fine between the machines on another
> os.

Do the other machines have automatic cable detection? They may be using patch
cable quite happily. There's an easy check for your cable:

 - grab both ends, and hold both connectors together, pins-up
 - the locking-clicking-bits should be behind the connectors as you look at
them
 - looking at the colours of the wires going into the connector, see if they
go to each pin in the same order (i.e., both white-orange, orange,
white-blue, blue, etc.. as you go from left to right).

If the colours are the same order on both connectors, it's a patch cable and
not suitable, generally. If there is deviation (sometimes four cores are in
different positions, sometimes all of them) then it's probably cross-over.

This, of course, relies on you using transparent connectors. The other method
would be to use the diode test on a multi-meter or a fluke. Which you would
have to do if the connector casing is opaque :(

> > Are the link lights lit?
>
> what link lights?

Most network connectors (and indeed hubs, etc.) will have lights on the back.
Usually, one for transmission (TX/RX) and one for link. When you have two
such lights, you expect one to come on when you plug the device into another
- that is, when you plug computer a into computer b with a cable, when the
cable is in both computers (and the computers are on!) the link light should
come on. Usually even if the computers are in the process of booting /
shutdown.

The second light comes on with network traffic. So, a working NIC will
usually have one steady lit light and one flashing light (depending on
network traffic it may not flash often!)

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk