[Gllug] Mail servers, was: [Gllug] I found this link

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Sun Sep 23 15:31:43 UTC 2001

On Sunday 23 September 2001 15:44, you wrote:
> Debian has a nice basic exim configuration script for new users that will
> set it up for the more common situations. Maybe you can find in debian's
> exim.diff.gz ?

eximconfig is pretty good. I like pppconfig too. One of the few Debian tools
which actually get it right - network configuration, for example, is
terrible.

> The license is odd (no binary distribution, etc), and setting it up in the
> recommended method does require learning a different view of how daemons
> are controlled.

I think basically djb wants to maintain the 'purity' of the binary releases -
a bit like AC and /proc/tainted. I prefer the configuration setup of qmail -
it shows that even though it's quite a basic unix-y type service, it doesn't
need to be hard to configure, and makes intelligent decisions for you. I
don't like the idea of /etc/app/app.conf - although, if qmail had such a
configuration file, the canonical configuration would probably be about three
lines :).

> But it's very solid, no security holes in the past four
> years, Maildirs are a blessing (one email per file stops mailbox
> corruption),

Maildirs rock. I'm never going back to mbox - too problematic. Plus, most
modern MTAs support it - such as Courier, for example. Maildirs are a real
win for IMAP - you can have sub-Maildirs (usually works as having a
.folder-name in Maildir, which then holds the usual cur/, new/, etc.) and
it's all no problem.

> > prefer qmail over anything else currently. It's very easy to setup and
> > setup correctly - it's just a pain in the ass that ESR's crappo
> > 'fetchmail' doesn't always deliver mail correctly and qmail rejects it
>
> The only problem I've had between the two is when I tried to sort delivery
> of emails from a multidrop POP3 account based on the To: address.

I've never attempted multidrop with fetchmail; singledrop works poorly enough
for me to be too scared. Certainly, fetchmail pre-RedHat6/7 (can't tell you
exactly when) can't deliver acceptable email to qmail at all - CR/LF nonsense
:(( Even with the latest version I could get for one RH5.2 machine I have
makes me use the 'forcecr' option to make it work. However, fetchmail does
get some bonus marks for --qvirtual (multidrop on envelope sender with qmail
- Delivered-To:).

It's also well slow.

Cheers,

Alex.