[Gllug] Dual Booting

Andy Loates andy at the-bizz.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 10 21:53:45 UTC 2001

I wonder if any of you can help with a probably simple question.

Ive recently upgraded my file/mail/print/firewall box from rh6.0 to Mandrake
7.2 which quite frankly sucks. After many days of trying to get the printer
to work i've finally decided to scrap the thing and install rh7.1.

But before i do that i want to run the system as a test bed on the server
while keeping the existing mandrake system live.

I know about dual booting for different operating system but i'm not sure
about how you dual boot the same OS. How can you have two, esentially the
same, file systems on the same box. OK i will have Mandrake on hda and rh on
hdb, but two root file systems? When I install rh and partion the second
hard disk then mount root filesystem wont it see the mandrake root system
and get confused? (Like me).

Im sure this is straight forward but I would be gratefull if anybody can
help me out on this.

many thanks

Andy Loates

Kind regards