[Gllug] Dual Booting

Kieran Barry kieran at esperi.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 10 22:36:43 UTC 2001

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Andy Loates wrote:

> I wonder if any of you can help with a probably simple question.
>
> Ive recently upgraded my file/mail/print/firewall box from rh6.0 to Mandrake
> 7.2 which quite frankly sucks. After many days of trying to get the printer
> to work i've finally decided to scrap the thing and install rh7.1.
>
> But before i do that i want to run the system as a test bed on the server
> while keeping the existing mandrake system live.
>
> I know about dual booting for different operating system but i'm not sure
> about how you dual boot the same OS. How can you have two, esentially the
> same, file systems on the same box. OK i will have Mandrake on hda and rh on
> hdb, but two root file systems? When I install rh and partion the second
> hard disk then mount root filesystem wont it see the mandrake root system
> and get confused? (Like me).
>
> Im sure this is straight forward but I would be gratefull if anybody can
> help me out on this.

Fiddle with your /etc/lilo.conf

Use different "root=/dev/foo" for each setup.

On the actual root disk for each distro, you can mount the other distro
on different mount points in /etc/fstab

eg
/dev/hda1	/	ext2 	<options>
/dev/hdb1	/mnt/root ext2	<options>

Note that the file system itself can be mounted on any mount point. This
seems to be the piece of the jigsaw you were missing.

Regards

Kieran

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk